Sunday, June 20, 2010

Miscou Mini

Miscou Mini
Miscou Island, New Brunswick, Canada
Oil on canvas, 2x2, $30 with tiny easel for display

On this trip, I've made a series of tiny paintings that I like very much. I started making them just to get the values of the scene down quickly, but I soon found myself charmed by the pieces. They will stand on mini easels I have. They are fun, and really, they are pretty.

Choosing the shape of the canvas is often a challenge for me. I've been tricked many times, for instance, into thinking that a long arm of a beach should go on a long arm of canvas, one that's three times as long as it is high, perhaps. But then, you end up with a skinny stick of sand, a skinny piece of water and a skinny bit of sky - nothing like what really makes the scene.

So the little canvases help me choose the bigger ones. They help me find the problems with the composition, too. And they help me capture the light, quickly.

2 comments:

One Woman's Thoughts said...

How I loved your little 2x2"s! It would be fun to see them together telling their story.

carrie jacobson said...

Thanks! I am liking the minis, too - and the size keeps me from getting too detailed with them.