Monday, June 7, 2010

The Rabbit Separator

The Rabbit Separator
Oil on canvas, 16x20, $400



Before Heather and I leave for Canada (wednesday!!!), I had to deliver art to the Wallkill River School, in Montgomery, NY. I'm a represented artist there, and my work and the work of other represented artists hangs year round in a nice hallway gallery. The hallway show changes every month, and it seems like I am always behind the eight ball in terms of delivering my work.

So on Sunday, I delivered pieces for July, August and September, along with work for a new art-leasing program, and a piece to be entered into an auction.

And I had the chance to paint with my friends, and talk with Susan Miiller about a cool project she's launched (more on that in a moment).

I was painting this scene, standing in the field with my friends George Hayes and Shawn Dell Joyce, when I realized that I didn't know what the red machine was.

Now, usually, I don't bother so much with the names of things. I wasn't going to paint the thing in any detail anyways, but as I painted its planes and surfaces, I couldn't help but ask.

"It's a rabbit separator," Shawn said. "It gets the rabbits safely out of the way before the field is mowed."

Well, it sounded good to me. I mean, I was pretty sure she was kidding, but you know, I liked the idea.

So, this painting is "The Rabbit Separator." Why not? (The thing, by the way, is a hay baler. Or so I'm told).

OK, now to the big, cool project Susan Miiller has started, and invited me and all of you to participate in!

Susan has engineered two exhibits in Orange County, NY. Both are intended to benefit the Port Jervis/Deerpark Humane Society, in New York state, near where we used to live. It's a good shelter, and could really use our help.


Painters with the Art for Shelter Animals Project have heard about this already, but it all bears repeating. In ASAP, painters make portraits of animals in their local shelter or with their local rescue group, and then donate the art to the shelter or rescue group. The shelter or rescue group can do whatever it wants with the art: sell it, auction it, use it as an inducement for adoption, or use it to brighten their offices. 


The project is an excellent opportunity for artists of all kinds. Since the art is donated, you are freed from all restrictions and rules. It will never be juried, judged and criticized; it will be loved and appreciated - so you can experiment, try a new color, paint with your heart. 

So, go to the Port Jervis/Deerpark website -  http://www.pjhumane.org/  - and find an animal who appeals to you. The animals to be painted are at the very bottom of the home page.

Make a portrait, then take a photo of it and email it to me (carrieBjacobson@gmail.com) for posting on the ASAP blog!

Then deliver it to the Wallkill River School (or mail it... address is below) and you're off.

The first exhibit takes place in the office of Jeff Parker, 156 Pike St., Port Jervis. Parker is a podiatrist and an artist and an animal lover. He has a very nice space to show and sell art. That exhibit goes from July 26-Sept. 10.

Then, the work will move to the Deerpark Museum, for a one-day show on Sept. 18. Anyone who is in the area is invited to come and demonstrate during the day.

After that, the work will go to the shelter, in the usual way.

As always, you can frame the pieces if you want, but you don't have to. It would be great if you would put a wire on the back for hanging.

Please mail your pieces to:

Susan Miiller
Wallkill River School
232 Ward St.
Montgomery, NY 12549

This is a wonderful opportunity. I hope you join in! 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your blog !!
Have great fun in Canada !!
I will try and send some of my pieces !!

Care to follow me back ?

http://vintagepoppa.blogspot.com

Alice H
xoxo