Friday, June 11, 2010

Morning on the Gaspe

Morning on the Gaspe
Oil on canvas, 16x20
Call me at 860-442-0246 or email me, carrieBjacobson@gmail.com, to buy this painting

The morning blew in clean and shiny here on the Gaspe, and Heather and I left the hotel early and soon found a beautiful site to paint.

In the distance, the St. Lawrence River seems more like an ocean, vast and indigo and full of tides and waves. On its near edge sit farms and fields and delightful houses. Many of them are small, doll-like small, just big enough for one, or two getting along nicely. Many have roofs that sort of flip up at the end, like gentle ski jumps. Many are painted bright, rich colors.

They sit on the bank of the St. Lawrence, tight and sturdy in the wind, and welcome the dawn and the dusk and all the weather in between. They call to me. This place calls to me.

When we finished our morning paintings, we bought lunch at a fromagerie, a cheese shop. The woman behind the counter let us taste everything, and then gave us some of the shop's wares, "un cadeau," she said, as we paid for the rest. In return, I gave her a tiny painting - and she was delighted. Turns out she had seen us painting that morning - and she is a painter, too!

This is the painting I gave her. It's 2 inches by 2 inches. 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

What an amazing day you had! I wish I could have a day like that. I can't seem to take the steps to make it happen, somehow. I love your interpretation of the huge sky making the little houses seem so cute and small. Very nice!

Roxanne Steed said...

Looks like a beautiful place! and a great road trip/painting trip!!

carrie jacobson said...

Thanks, Katherine - It does feel like the sky here is huge - and that's a cool feeling, really.

carrie jacobson said...

Thanks so much, Roxanne! This is just about the most beautiful place ever.