Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Edge of the Salt Pond

 Edge of the Salt Pond, Misquamicut
Oil on canvas, 10x20, please contact me for price and delivery options

There is something in a gray day that frees the soul to feel. There's not the forced smile of a sunny morning, the necessary cheer of a brilliant afternoon.

On a gray day, if you're feeling happy, it's a bonus. If you're feeling gray, well, it's expected.

To find color and movement in a gray afternoon is a treat for me as a painter. The wind was blowing yesterday near the breachway in Misquamicut, and there was little color in the field, or the winter-drained reeds or the tonal marsh. The tide was out, the sun was in, and the clouds scudded quickly on the wind.

By the time I finished, the sun had come out a little - but just for a peek and a wink.

I painted this one with just a few colors - an experiment in a compressed palette.

My painting in the landscape
Here are the colors I used... Blick Lemon yellow, Holbein Naples yellow, Holbein gray/green, Rembrandt transparent orange oxide, Rembrandt indigo, Holbein light red bright, and Classico turquoise.

2 comments:

Elissa said...

Love the painting in the context of the scene. I have yet to try a plein air painting.

Carrie Jacobson said...

Thanks! I hope you try plein air - it's reallly fun. You have to be speedy, paint before the light changes much, so it focuses your painting - the wallkill river school plein air group starts this Sunday, in Museum Village in Montgomery. I am going to try to go - you should go. The first class and lunch are free. There will be a demonstration, then you paint for a couple hours and have lunch (supplied) and a critique (gentle). It's GREAT!

Home Away from Home

Home Away from Home Oil on board, 8x16, $125 including shipping sold One of the things I love about the palette knife is direction...