Friday, May 27, 2011

Harpswell Harbor

Harpswell Harbor
Oil on canvas, 11x14
sold

Oh, I love this painting! I love the red house, especially, and the way the buildings are tucked together, close and tight, facing the setting sun. I can imagine them in shadow in the mornings, and with yellow lights shining out in early winter dusks.

I can imagine them in snowstorms, and with the heavy icy Maine-coast rains pelting and slamming them in November.

There's something about a village, a cluster of houses, a small gathering of buildings close together that always appeals to me. I loved Bolster's Mills, in southwestern Maine, where we lived on and off for 10 years. There were about 40 houses there, and while not everyone got along all the time, when you drove through, you'd think - in this village, they all are friends.

I hope you come see me this weekend at the Paradise City Arts Festival in Northampton, Mass. I'll be in the Morgan Barn, Booth 317. Please stop in and say hi!

jacobson arts world headquarters are in gales ferry, CT

2 comments:

Elissa said...

I love the sense of movement in this one, especially in the clouds.

carrie jacobson said...

Yes, the clouds really do look like they're zipping along, don't they? And they WERE! It was a gorgeous, wild, cold evening - I painted the dark sky, then turned around and saw that the last bit of sun had come under the clouds and was lighting up the buildings. So beautiful.