Sunday, May 17, 2009

Happy Day for Me

Jasmine. Oil on stretched canvas, 10x10. To be donated to the Groton, Conn., animal shelter
as part of the Art for Shelter Animals Project.



It's been a busy time here at 109 Whalehead Road. Peter's work has been accepted for publication by B&W Magazine, a lovely, glossy magazine of, you guessed it, black and white photography. Once a year, the magazine does a portfolio edition, in which it publishes the work of photographers it juries in. Peter will get at least two pages in the mag, and maybe more. Exciting!

Also, I've revamped our website, jacobson-arts.com. I'm not gifted with this digital stuff, and while I often have good ideas about what I want, I rarely have an idea how to get it. So there's always a lot of work involved, and a lot of learning and a whole lot of luck. Please take a moment to check out the site and let me know honestly what you think, positive or negative, and email me (carriebjacobson@gmail.com) with any ideas you have for improvement.

I spent a good chunk of yesterday (my birthday!) painting in Pet Supplies Plus in Groton. This is a nice, medium-sized pet store, one of eight in the state owned by the same group of people. I approached them a couple weeks ago, hoping to get the word out about the Art for Shelter Animals Project (artforshelteranimals.blogspot.com). My stepdaughter Erika and my brother Rand have been pushing me to paint in pet stores for a long time. Sheila Tajima, my ASAP co-founder, has had a good reception painting in a pet store out in California.

I think it was successful, for a first go. People were a little afraid that I was going to try to sell them something, so I ended up approaching them with materials about the project, and that was fine. I'm going to paint there every other Saturday for a few months, so I think they will get used to me. It was fun!

Thanks for reading, and for all your support.

2 comments:

L.Holm said...

Hi, Carrie- I left a message on Art for Animals 1st, but wanted to pop over and say Happy Birthday (a day late)! Love your portrait of Jasmine, and your new website looks great. Also had a laugh over your husband's bio page, love his abstracts of sand and ice. (but wouldn't want to say so for fear of being a squawking bird) lol! Best to you! Liz

carrie jacobson said...

Hi, Liz, and thank you for the good wishes and for visiting the website and sharing your thoughts. Peter wrote that bio one night and left it for me to read in the morning. I laughed so hard I woke him up.