Sunday, May 10, 2009

One more day

One More Day. Oil on stretched canvas, 24x24. Sold.

It is Mothers Day, and I've felt a wealth of emotions. Erika and John took Peter and me out for Mothers Day breakfast, and showered me with presents. I felt loved and treasured as a mother. It's a clear, sweet feeling - and one that has come to me in pieces and in parts, late, perhaps, but with no less import or depth than if it had come at the very beginning of Erika's life.

It is also my third Mothers Day without my own mother. It is a day that will never pass without my feeling the joy of having been my mother's daughter, and the sadness of living on in this life without her.

She taught me how to love, how to share, how to give. She taught me what it means to be a friend and a mother. She taught me that being generous gives me joy, that working hard gives me pleasure, and that speaking and living my own truth gives meaning to my life.

I'd give anything to have one more day with her.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

A Bittersweet Mother's Day for you isn't it Carrie. Hugs. Remember you will always have a bit of your mother with you and to pass onto your children.