Sunday, July 4, 2010

Edge of the Sea


Edge of the Sea
Mabou, Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia
sold

The first day of the Niantic Outdoor Arts and Crafts Festival was fun and exhausting and exhilarating. I did not sell a single painting, but I met hundreds of people, and had the joy of watching many of them become enchanted by my paintings.

This does not put money in my pocket, or groceries on the table, or gas in the car - but it fills my heart and gives me hope.

It also makes me wonder how to translate that engagement into sales.

My nephew Cyrus, who has been making a killing selling watermelon slices outside his house, told me that my prices are too high. A painter at the show told me that my prices are too low.

And so, Goldilocks, are my prices just right?

I am working at being a better salesman, at using every word and every gesture to close the sale. It is not my nature, but it is a skill and I am improving at it, I think.

Today, I am going to change my inventory a little, pull down some of the Canada paintings (I think - though these have generated a lot of interest) and put in some boat and shore paintings.

Mostly, I am going to enjoy myself today, take pleasure in people's pleasure, and in the process itself.

If you have ideas for me, please let me know. I am open to any and all suggestions about how to improve my show performance and my sales - or any other aspect of this adventure.

Thank you for reading!

No comments: