Friday, July 23, 2010

Sunflowers!


Sunflowers
Oil on deep-cradled canvas, 16x20, $350
Please email me for information on shipping or delivery

Two years ago, in the fall, I heard about the acres of sunflowers on Route 165 in Griswold, here in Conn. Last year, I got there a day or two after the last ones had been harvested. This year, I got there on time! And for anyone in or around the area, there are probably still a few days to see this miracle.

Buttonwoods Farm began planting sunflowers a few years ago, and has expanded the harvest to 14 acres. The farm sells bouquets of four beautiful flowers for $5; proceed go to the Make-A-Wish Foundation. (see http://www.sunflowersforwishes.com/ for details).

It's quite the place, and quite the attraction. I was there twice on Thursday, and both times, people came and went, oohing and aahing and taking photos of their kids and families and dogs in front of the fields of flowers. Droves of professional-looking photographers were there, too, with tripods and big lenses and serious expressions.

Many people stopped to watch me paint, and many told me that my painting reminded them of Van Gogh. I used to shudder at this, thinking that people believed I was trying to copy him. Now, I take it as a compliment.

If you're in the area, and especially if you have a child, you might think about going to see the sunflowers. It's a truly amazing sight. You can take a ride through the field in a cart. You can buy the bouquets. And if you're willing to wait, you can get some pretty darn good ice cream, too.

2 comments:

Bruce said...

love your paintings...very spontaneous feel to it, not studied
or artifice; thanx, bruce

carrie jacobson said...

Hi, Bruce - Thank you for the note. I'm glad you like the painting! It was a hot, steamy spontaneous kind of afternoon.

I am impressed with your photographs, especially the new, full-moon pieces. They are lovely.