Friday, October 26, 2012

Foggy Morning, Wachapreague

Foggy Morning, Wachapreague
Oil on canvas, 10x10
sold

A few summers ago, I spent about a week standing on Pequot Avenue in New London, CT, trying different ways to paint fog.

If you're doing a studio piece, I imagine you could make the painting and then let it dry, and then put a very, very thin skein of white over the foggy spots. But if you're working in plein air, and alla prima (in one session), the challenges are different.

The way I came up with is to put the paint on, and then run the knife over it and sort of pull it/smear it off. I think it works pretty well. What do you think? And if you're a painter, how do you do fog?

***

Several of the predicted paths of the oncoming hurricane show it making landfall pretty much on the road in front of our house.

So I've decided to stay home this weekend, pull out of the outdoor show on Long Island, and stick close. I can't leave Peter and six dogs with a hurricane and a Jeep Wrangler.

The Long Island show, far as I know, has not been canceled, though I suspect it might be. But I won't be there. I am sorry - but it seems the smart thing to do.


No comments: