Sunday, October 28, 2012

The Storm Before the Storm

The Storm Before the Storm
Oil on canvas, 10x10, $100
sold
With every blast of wind, every buffeting bluster, with the storm twisting the landscape, stirring up the autumn grass, with every moment of approach and every iota of intensity, my most primal being measures fight or flight, and comes more and more alive.

In New York, where we lived on the bank of a river that flooded, raging and dangerous, fear overtook me, and the only respite - after the first, terrifying, catastrophic losses - came in flight.

Here, so far, staying seems safe, with my fighting soul in full glory.

If the time comes to leave, I will know. We both will. We will recognize the overwhelming wave of fear, and get out before it crashes on our storm-swept shore. But for now, it is exciting, exhilarating, enlivening.

In storms like this, I meet my deepest self, and take the measure of my heart.

5 comments:

Luisa said...

20gerzzyYou go Y-woman!!!
Stay or go, my heart is with you.
Love ya
Luisa

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

From a couple of hurricane veterans on the "Eastern Shore" of Mobile Bay, on the Alabama Gulf Coast, we send our wishes for your safety and the speedy recovery of electric power. We hope your "eastern Shore" has had minimal damage from Sandy.I connected via Linkedin Round Robin.

Your artwork is very nice..and your writing is a pleasure to read.

carrie jacobson said...

Thank you, Dan. I really appreciate your good wishes, especially from one who's been there. Barrier islands off the coast of Wachapreague, our little town, helped keep the worst of the waves out of town - the salt marsh helped, too.

The wind was WILD, and the ocean came up over the road closest to it, but the power mostly stayed on, and our little house held solid... I had hoped to paint during the storm, but it was too windy even to paint in the car - and the boat-garage studio was buffeted by wind and crashing pinecones; it was too much!

At any rate, we are safe and sound now, and I sure appreciate your reaching out.

Unknown said...

Glad to hear that you your town was not affected too badly. It looks like a wonderful place to visit!

Just got word that my son-in-law, a lineman with Alabama Power, was working not that far north of you in Cape May, NJ. He was so impressed with the way the residents showed their appreciation for the power restoration efforts. He is with about 300 or so power guys from Ala. Power who will be up there until power is fully restored. Reminds me of all the help we got after Katrina!