Wednesday, October 31, 2012

House at the Edge of the Bay

House at the Edge of the Bay
Oil on canvas, 20x20
sold
The hurricane swept in with its fists up, and pounded the Eastern Shore - but the barrier islands and the salt marsh protected Wachapreague, and our small and sturdy house protected us.

I was truly touched by the number of people - family and friends, customers, followers of this blog - who reached out to us, wishing us luck and wanting to know how we were, and whether they could do anything for us. I am grateful beyond words for your kindness and concern.

Parts of the shore not protected by barrier islands, not protected by the marsh, had much more damage than we had. Chincoteague Island was particularly hard-hit, I've heard. But nothing here compares, I think, to what happened in New Jersey, New York, and parts of Connecticut and Rhode Island. Misquamicut, one of my old haunts in Westerly, RI, was really walloped.

My "Storm Before the Storm" painting has sold, and while we really don't have much money at this point, I am going to give the $100 I earned from that painting to the Red Cross to help the hurricane victims. And if there's a place to give blood out here, I will do that, too.

I hope you are all OK today. Thank you again for your big hearts.

No comments: