Sunday, October 30, 2011

Wachapreague Sunset


 Wachapreague Sunset 
Oil on canvas, 20x20
Please contact me for price and delivery information

I was driving on Route 13, the spine of the Eastern Shore, when I saw a sign for "Wachapreague, the little city by the sea."

Intrigued, I decided to visit. And I fell in love.

This teeny town has 236 year-round residents. It has a main street and a few side streets. It has wharves, a hotel, a restaurant, a fire station, a town hall and about the friendliest people I've ever met. And it has a breathtakingly gorgeous salt marsh, which apparently accounts for its becoming "The Flounder Capital of the World."

I stood outside William and Mary's Virginia Institute of Marine Science to make this painting, but I could have stood pretty much anywhere along the seaside road. Every direction I looked, there was something gorgeous.

Wachapreague has a number of other outstanding virtues, including this one: It didn't snow there on Saturday.





I set up my easel next to the Virginia Institute of Marine Science

No comments: