Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Oxoboxo Morning


Oxoboxo Morning
Oil on canvas, 16x16

A few years ago, a friend and I started exchanging photos of the sky every day. It started because we'd found ourselves fascinated by the sky - her by the vastness of it, me by the colors and patterns, the stuff in the sky. 

We set out to exchange the photos for a year, but by now, it's three, going on four, I do believe. It's been a wonderful project, allowing me to see a part of her world, through her eyes, every day. In some ways, I've learned to see like her, a little bit. The project has helped me develop a new sense of vision, a new perspective. And it's been fun. Some days, the sky where she's been is exactly the same as the sky where I've been - even if we're half a world apart. Some days, the skies could hardly be more different - even if we're only a couple hundred miles apart. 

This is a painting I made from one of her photographs. I love the sense of dawning light in it, the bright colors in the sky and big dark humps of hills. And mostly, I like the touches of red at the tips of the tree branches, a promise that spring is indeed on the way. 

***
I'LL HAVE THE "Oxoboxo Morning" painting, and some of my new florals, like the one to the left here, at the Paradise City show in Marlborough, MA, March 24-26. The show is in the Royal Plaza Trade Center. Marlborough is on I-495, about 45 minutes west of Boston, and 30 minutes east of Worcester. You can click here to get directions, and here to get a coupon for $2 off the admission fee. I'll be in Booth 404! I've done this show twice, and so I can tell you that it is a beautiful show, much like the one in Northampton, but smaller. And without the great Indian food... but I will get my fill at the show in May! 


***
Stuff I've Seen
I saw this sign Vinton, Louisiana, on a beautiful road lined with Spanish-moss-hung live oaks. People were fishing on both sides of the road, a salt marsh on the east and 
a beautiful, fishy creek on the west. 

***
Dog of the Day

The show in Englewood, Florida, was no good for selling art, but it was great for seeing dogs! 

***
A Final Thought

"An artist's only concern is to shoot for some kind of perfection, 
and on his own terms, not anyone else's." 

- J.D. Salinger, "Franny and Zooey"




No comments: