Thursday, January 18, 2018

Morning's Glory

Morning's Glory
Oil on black canvas, 12x36
sold

The snow in our driveway stood waist-high in a hard, wind-blown drift. Even if we could have gotten out of the driveway, we'd have been mired in a hard, knee-high drift covering the road. No cars drove by - or, as far as I could tell, drove anywhere in town - for four days. Finally, at 8:30 at night on the fourth day after the storm, the state sent a plow to Wachapreague.

The plow piled up a wall of snow in front of our already drifted driveway, and the single-digit temperatures froze everything solid. Eventually, in 19-degree sun, we went out and dug and dug and dug, and then a neighbor, watching from his house, went and got the town's small front-loader and got us and our neighbor out. Our hero!

Being blocked in did wonders for my painting, though. Honestly, there was pretty much nothing else to do, so I painted and painted and painted, and ended up with this piece (and since this, others), in a style I am calling "mosaic painting."

It's again along the lines of the abstract realism that's always intrigued and drawn me, and which I've always wanted to paint - and have painted, more or less. The deconstructed landscape. A mix of detail and not-detail, energized by color and stroke and the puzzle-piece feeling of a mosaic or a stained-glass piece. I really love this, and feel a whole new sense of expression and discovery and joy.

You can see more of these on my website! Go to jacobson-arts.com, and click on "available paintings." There aren't many - yet - but that will change.

***

I'M HEADING TO ARIZONA in a week or so, and am delighted to be going to a warm, sunny place. My route and departure date are a bit up in the air, and they depend on the weather, which seems to be a mystery as of late. I'll be there for the month of February, and am doing three shows and a demo:    


All these events are free and open to everyone! 

***
Dog of the Day

I found this photo while I was looking for something else. It is intriguingly entitled "John and New Dog." I don't see John, and can't think of a John I know who might have a new dog, but if you know this dog, or John, please do let me know. It's a great dog, isn't it? 

***
A Final Thought

"The more you love, the more love you have to give. 
It's the only feeling we have which is infinite."

- Christina Westover






No comments: