Wednesday, February 13, 2013

A New Idea

Storm in the Black Dirt
Oil on canvas, 16x20
sold

My second tour of Florida was as bad as my first. The 27th annual Boca Raton Museum of Fine Art was a bust for me. It was a lovely show to be in, with exciting and strong work - but no sales for me, and apparently low or no sales for many others.

Exasperated, disappointed, unhappy, I was packing up when I was struck by an idea that I'd thought of in passing but never pursued: Try a dog show!

So this weekend, I will travel to Hartford, CT, to sell dog portraits at the Governor's Foot Guard Dog Show at the XL Center.

I'll bring an indoor set-up, all my dog portraits, get some more postcards made up and see what happens!

The show is Saturday and Sunday at the X-L Center. The doors open at 8 a.m., and the show starts at 9 a.m. Tickets are $10 each; I don't know about kid prices.

Nearly 800 dogs are entered; it's one of the bigger shows in the area, and a good one! Click here to find out about the Governor's Foot Guard... Click here for the XL Center's info! 

I'll paint while the show is on - so that should be fun for people to watch. And who knows? It's surely worth a try.

I did get out of Florida without being skunked. I stopped to visit a friend, and she bought the painting at the top of this blog entry. It's a painting I made a while ago, and it has long been one of my very favorites. I'm glad it went to a person for whom it has meaning!

So, not for the first time, I say: thank heavens for friends and family!



1 comment:

Dirk Langeveld said...

Sounds like a great idea, Carrie. Best of luck!