Thursday, February 11, 2021

Gotta Love a Snail



Gotta Love a Snail / Oil on black canvas / 5x5 / $68 including shipping
Please email me at carrieBjacobson@gmail.com if you'd like this little guy

A SNAIL MUCH LIKE THIS ONE was the very first painting to sell in the Love series on the Oil & Water Facebook page my friend Susan McGuire and I started recently. (https://www.facebook.com/Oil-Water-104885681569296). 

Not only did it sell about a minute after I posted it, but directly afterwards, several other people contacted me, wanting it - so I made more. 

Here is the final snail Love piece. All my Love paintings had hearts hidden in them (or not so hidden). This one won't be dry in time for a Valentine's Day delivery, but love late is still love, isn't it? 

It always interests me, and often surprises me, when people clamor for certain paintings. Crab paintings took off in somewhat the same way, and the little mountaintop pieces I make up from my imagination, and the leftover paint on my palette, seem to always find a home. 

***
Coda

Flirtation

After all, there's no need
to say anything

at first. An orange, peeled
and quartered, flares

like a tulip on a wedgewood plate
Anything can happen. 

Outside the sun
has rolled up her rugs

and night strewn salt 
across the sky. My heart

is humming a tune
I haven't heard in years! 

Quiet's cool flesh -- 
let's sniff and eat it. 

There are ways
to make of the moment

a topiary
so the pleasure's in

walking through. 

- Rita Dove



 

No comments: