Thursday, February 11, 2010

Scenes from an Opening


Here's Chris Rose, curator of the Lighthouse Gallery, in front of a wall of dogs. 
Here's a couple of the dangerous-looking types that haunt the Lighthouse Gallery... I'm married to the one with the beard... the other is Carden Holland, my partner in crime in "Places & Pets." 


Here's Chris again, in front of the Sams. 
"Rocky," "Giles, Goat Boy" and "How Now?"
These twin teenagers came with their dad; they spent a long time with my paintings, and it was great to watch them. Here, one of the twins is clearly suspicious of the lurker. 
A wall of dogs and cows.

The Lighthouse Gallery at night. It's a gallery in a strip mall on Long Hill Road in Groton, Conn., and to me, its everyday location is a real plus. It's a friendly place that invites everyone.




The opening reception at the Lighthouse Gallery was jammed; I stopped taking photos when the place got crowded - and I still didn't get to spend as much time as I'd have liked with some of the people who came so far out of their way to attend the opening.

I am feeling a little low, this snowy morning. I find this is something that happens after openings. I stretch myself to the edges of exhaustion, always pushing right up to the very last minute - and then it's over. I'm tired, I feel painted out, my direction at least momentarily unclear. None of my pieces sold, either, and while I expected that, it adds to the malaise, as does a rejection from the Connecticut Artists Show.

So went out yesterday, in the midst of a driving snowstorm, and attempted a plein air painting - but it was just too brutal, and the snow fell so fast, I couldn't keep the canvas clear. I came in and dried off, warmed up, and cooked, which in my opinion is one of the best ways in the world to spend a snowy afternoon.

Today, the world looks good again, and I can hardly wait to get out there and paint.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow Wow Wow Carrie!!!! I am ecstatic for you! The show looks great!!! It is so nice to see the paintings in scale with people so I can appreciate their impact all the more. How awesome to have your solo show!!! I am so happy for you! [do I get a prize for the most exclamation marks in a comment?]

carrie jacobson said...

Thanks, Sheila! It does look great - and it is a real treat to see the paintings all together. It wasn't a solo show... a friend showed with me, and I should take some pix of her paintings, too, and not be so greedy! I will, the next time I go down to the gallery...

KAY PERE said...

Congratulations on your show! I'm looking forward to stopping in there next time I'm over that way. It will be fun to see your paintings full size after enjoying them so much here on your blog.

carrie jacobson said...

Oh, Kay, it is so wonderful to hear from you. Quiet Little Life is one of my very favorite blogs. I haven't spent much time with Sacred Shards, but I am intrigued by what I've seen. It just tickles me to receive this email, and know that you're still reading and still enjoying!

The show is only up for a few more days, so I hope you can get there. The little Lighthouse Gallery is a wonderful spot, friendly and intimate, and in existence for the best of reasons - but it's only open during business hours, usually. Chris Rose will open it on weekends if you call ahead, though.