Saturday, April 18, 2015

Two Hanks Are Better than One


Hank
Oil on canvas, 20x20

My first cowscape happened because I got a great deal on a big canvas at the Jerry's Artarama in West Hartford, CT. I think the canvas was 30x48 and I got it for $35. Usually, it would be more than $100. 

I got it home, and stared at it for a long time, wondering what to paint on it. I'd never had a big canvas! (In my life now, that's a medium-sized canvas). I realized that I needed to paint something big - because, otherwise, what was the point of using such a big canvas? 

So I decided to paint a cowscape. I finished it, and I loved it, but I figured I'd have it forever. (Want to see that first one? Click here). I'd lug it from show to show, and no one would ever buy it - because who on earth would want a big painting of cows? 

In the first show I exhibited it in, it sold! 

I got another big canvas, and made another big cowscape, and it sold, too. And I realized that I'm not the only person who likes cows. 

***
WANT  TO SEE my newest cowscape? Come to the Arlington Festival of the Arts this weekend in Arlington, VA. The show is today and Sunday, 10-5 each day, on Highland Street in the Clarendon district of Arlington. Click here for more info

***
Dog of the Day
A few weeks ago, I got a call from Anne Pinkerton, of the Paradise City Arts Festivals. She runs Art Buzz, which tells the stories of artists who exhibit at the Paradise City shows. And she wanted to do a story on me! The piece came out great - you can read it by clicking here

In the back and forth that we had about the piece, it came out that Anne likes the Dog of the Day feature, and has a couple Corgi mixes that she adores. 
I posted Trixie a couple days ago. Here's a picture of Trixie and Hank. 

Want your pet to be the Dog of the Day? Send a jpg to me at carrieBjacobson@gmail.com

***
A final thought

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there." 

- John Wooden


No comments: