Sunday, March 20, 2016

Homesick Blues

 Homesick Blues
Oil on black canvas, 15x60

When I drove through Tennessee on my way home from Arizona, I was struck by the beauty of the state. I was in eastern Tennessee when I saw this trio of buildings near the highway. Even though I was aching to be home, I doubled back and got off and found this farm, which I photographed from about 50 angles. 

In addition to the buildings and how they sit on the land and pick up the light, I really like the misty quality of this painting, the way the sky and mountains meld here and there. I also like the little bits of spring pink and green in the trees behind the buildings. The shape of the canvas is fun, too. Usually I paint longhorns on this shape and size, but I think it works for this landscape, too. 

***
Dog of the Day
Seems to be a springtime of puppies! Meet Henry, whom my friends Cynthia and Kevin found at a shelter in Tucson. He's part German shepherd, part airedale. Isn't he adorable? 


***
A Final Thought

"The object of art is not to reproduce reality, but to create a reality of the same intensity." 

- Alberto Giacometti