Tuesday, May 17, 2016

I Shall Be Released

I Shall Be Released
Oil on black canvas with gold, copper and aluminum leaf, 30x30

When I was in my 20s, I was sure that people in their 60s were all but dead, spiritually, emotionally and of course, physically. I was pretty sure that there was no imagination in their lives, that most of the doors had closed - and they didn't really mind. 

I turned 60 on Monday, and I am glad to say that I couldn't have been more wrong, at least about myself and, I'd dare to say, my friends, my husband and my post-60 family members. 

I've never felt more alive! I've never had more creative ideas, a richer imagination, more daring. I've never felt happier; I've never felt more fear; I've never had the determination I have now. 

In many ways, I feel like this painting. I feel like all life is leading me somewhere, and the path is in color. The goal is bright and shiny and maybe a little scary - but it is rich with color and movement, imagination and promise. 

You all, who read my blog and buy my paintings, sponsor my projects and support me in countless ways, you're all along with me on this journey, and you're all making it possible. I am so very grateful. Thank you. 

***
An amazing coincidence
 
MOTHER'S DAY WEEKEND, I participated in a show in Crozet, VA, about five hours west of here. I did the show last year, and it was pretty good, so I thought I'd try again. I was elated when the show used my art on their postcard! I was also thrilled to find they'd used it on their poster and program. 

The show is in a beautiful part of Virginia, the edge of the Shenandoah Valley. It is lush and clean and full of birds and bullfrogs and gorgeous scenery - but not so many buyers. I had an OK show, selling two paintings, but it was difficult to do and, I admit, disappointing. 

One amazing happened, though! I went up to a man in my booth and asked him if he'd like to buy a painting. He said he loved them but no, he was from Arizona. Where? I asked.

"Tucson," he said. 
"Oh, yeah? My dad and stepmother live in Tubac."
"Oh, really? My wife has art in a gallery in Tubac."
"Which one?" I asked, somehow knowing I already knew the answer.
"Sweet Poppy," he said. 


And sure enough, that's where I have my paintings in Tubac. Sweet Poppy. Isn't that amazing? Her name is Sandra Montgomery, and her website is www.oldwindowart.com. And that's what she does, paints on old windows. Very cool! 


Above, Sandra Montgomery and me. Below, my van, where I camped at the Crozet Art and Craft Festival. Most people camped in a concrete-covered area just past this field, but I loved the quiet, and the greenery and the solitary camping. 


***
Dog of the Day
Met this beauty in Tubac. She makes me think of Kaja,
 our long-gone part chow, part German shepherd. 

***
A Final Thought 

"It is good to love many tings, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is well done." 

- Vincent Van Gogh




No comments: