Sunday, December 7, 2008

First snow


First snow I. Oil on canvas, 11x14


As soon as I opened my eyes this morning, I knew it had snowed. The air had that glow, cool and warm, soft and bright, all at the same time. And excitement ran through me just as it had when I was a kid, just as it has every winter, every time the first snow falls.

I wasn't the only one. Kaja, 12 years old, part chow, part German shepherd, raced out into the yard, flung herself on the ground and rolled, all four feet in the air, a huge smile on her face. Sam, a Samoyed, romped and ran, bouncing and loping, through the snow. Woodreau, a dingy bichon, raced like a bunny, hindquarters tucked under, running as hard and fast as he could, in circles, challenging Jojo - part border collie, part who knows what - to chase - and of course, she did.

It was a riot of canine glee, simple exuberance, sheer joy. How contagious! As soon as I brought the dogs in, I went out in that yard and painted. No need to go anywhere! This is the first of two paintings I did this morning - my first snow paintings in oil.

No comments: