Thursday, January 24, 2013

On Deep Creek Road

On Deep Creek Road
Oil on canvas, 20x20

While I might be the founding member of the Big Field, Little House school of painting, I doubt that I am the only member - though, who knows?

I have wondered for a long time about this focus of mine. This scene, the archetypal big open space with a solitary house, has always attracted me. Even as a teenager, I remember loving the sight of the single house at the edge of Harkness Park, sitting alone at the edge of the pond.

A psychologist would probably have interesting things to say about this - but I think I love this view because I imagine what it would be like to be in that house, snug against the trees. You would feel sheltered and safe, but have a huge, open expanse in front of you.

And isn't that what we all want?

I made a video of me making this painting... You can see it on YouTube by clicking here. I'd love to know what you think about the video!

No comments: