Wednesday, October 2, 2013

First Fall

First Fall
Oil on canvas, 10x10
sold

Early autumn has a dusty look this year. The colors are soft, underlined with gold and tan and brown. A certain tired dryness seems etched into the still-green leaves, and the field grass crackles and whispers in the wind.

Even though it is early, and autumn's clothes are thin, the colors pull me in, the swirl of change  and promise visible, tantalizing. It is coming, it is here in a whisper, with a hint of color, and fire, and drama - or, this early, a rich aging, a gentle turn, handsome, quiet, recognizable.

***

I MADE THIS painting, "First Fall," when I stopped in Pound Ridge, NY, to check out the site of the show this weekend, the Pound Ridge Fine Arts Festival.

Pound Ridge is a lovely little village tucked into the mountains of eastern New York, Westchester County, near Katonah. If you're in the area, or looking for a scenic autumn drive, come to the show! It takes place Saturday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Here's the pond I painted. I forgot to take a photo with my painting in it! 

***
ALL DAY THURSDAY and half the day Friday, I'll be painting outdoors at Olana, the home of Frederic Church, in Hudson, NY. I've been juried into a plein-air paintout with a selection of marvelous painters, and I am excited! Painting will be followed by an auction Saturday at 5 p.m. at the estate. I won't be there, but you can be, to see the paintings and bid on them, too. 

***
Dog of the Day

It's Ruth Hamel's dog Patsy, in disguise as a pumpkin! 


No comments: