Thursday, October 10, 2013

We Need the Storm - and Withdrawing from Another Show

We Need the Storm
Oil on canvas, 10x10
sold

It's been raining and blowing for days here in Wachapreague. The tide's been high enough to wash marsh grass up onto the road. The wind has been strong enough to blow branches down all over town. 

I have not been strong enough to do anything, and have withdrawn from this weekend's show in Reston, VA. I feel terrible about this for all sorts of reasons, but it is the only thing to do, and it is done. 

I will ride out the storm, on this line between summer and autumn, and I will ride out this tenacious illness, and everything will be fine. I'm on the mend, for sure, and it is nothing serious - just overwhelming and dispiriting.  


Here's my painting in the landscape. I made this piece in August, but the sky looks much the same. I lifted the title from "What to the Slave Is the Fourth of July?" an address by Frederick Douglass. Here's the context: 

For it is not light that is needed, but fire; it is not the gentle shower, but thunder. 
We need the storm, the whirlwind, and the earthquake. 
The feeling of the nation must be quickened; the conscience of the nation must be roused; 
the propriety of the nation must be startled; 
the hypocrisy of the nation must be exposed; 
and its crimes against God and man must be proclaimed and denounced.

***
Dog of the Day

I met this guy on the ferry from Orient Point to New London in July. 
He was with the cutest Yorkie I've ever seen. 
Want your pet to be the Dog of the Day? Send a jpg to me at carrieBjacobson@gmail.com


No comments: