Wednesday, November 13, 2013

A Day of Mias!

Mia with Pearls
Commission
I am lucky enough to have a string of good, fun commissions right now, of animals I'm sure I'd like in person, and people I know I do like in person. So it's a great combination. But that doesn't mean that it's not without its difficulties. 

In the Mia with Pearls painting, I got the dog right away. The pearls were a different story. My first pearls - wish I'd taken a photo - were large blobs of white paint, looking more or less like some sort of disease. 

Scrape.

My second pearls were little round outlined things, looking somewhat like Wilma Flintstone's pearls.

Scrape. 

I got smart, then, and powered up the internet, and looked around until I found a video of someone painting pearls. I practiced on a string, and then went back to work on Mia, and - voila! - pearls! 

Mia the cat was another issue all together. My first attempt didn't capture the length of her hair or the expression on her face. 
Mia 1
Scrape. 
My second attempt was closer, but still didn't get there.
Mia 2
Scrape. 
Maybe a minimalist approach would work, I thought. So.. Mia No. 3
Mia Minimal
That was all on Sunday. On Monday, I did Mia with pearls in the morning, and then, voila, Mia Without Pearls. 
Guess I just needed to work through everything that wasn't Mia, until I found the real cat inside. 

    

 Mia without Pearls
Commission

***

It's hard to tell what this is, but it's a HUGE ship crossing over one of the tunnels 
in the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. Cool, huh? 

***
Dog of the Day
Don't know who this dog is, but he was happily wandering around in his yard 
near Assawoman (yup!!!), over near Chincoteague. He came up to greet me as 
I cruised around, looking for something good to paint. 

Want your pet to be the Dog of the Day? Send a jpg to me at carrieBjacobson@gmail.com

No comments: