Monday, September 1, 2014

Sun Rings, Peter Chang, and the DOD Takes a Dip

Sun Rings
Oil on canvas, 20x20
commission

When something rears its head repeatedly in my life, I pay attention. I've ignored signs and coincidences all too often, and felt the dismay of clearly missed opportunities. 

So when three people asked me to go back and paint more of these sun ring paintings, I agreed. I painted them originally in 2011 (click here to see one from back then)  and they were fun then. But this time, I had such a blast that I'm going to paint another one today, no matter how tropically hot and humid it is out there. 

***

COME SEE MY NEW PAINTINGS at the Brandywine Festival of the Arts this weekend in Wilmington, Del. I don't know where I'm going to be yet, and it is a pretty big festival, but I will let you all know when I know. If you have friends in the Wilmington, Del., area, please let them know about the festival. There is an admission fee of $5, I believe. Click here for a link to info on the festival. 

***
ON SUNDAY, PETER and I went to Virginia Beach for a fast supply visit to Jerry's Artarama. On the way back, we took my brother's advice and tried Peter Chang's in Virginia Beach. My brother - Rand Cooper is his name; click here to read some of his food writing - knows his cuisine. He said we'd have the best Chinese food of our lives - and we did. It was truly amazing, subtle, interesting, and miles above any other Chinese food ever. 

The best dishes were the steamed dumplings, which were smooth and rich with subtle flavors - and dry-fried eggplant, which is so delicious it nearly defies description. The eggplant taste was creamy and fresh, and at the very end, there was a hot zing of Szechuan peppers. Yum! 




***
Dog of the Day

It's Tucker, who fell into a little water feature while visiting my friends Cynthia and Kevin. 
Tucker was none the worse for his experience, and had a nice cooling bath, besides. 


No comments: