Thursday, September 18, 2014

St. Mary's - and the Paintout Is Underway

St. Mary's Episcopal, High Point, NC
Oil on canvas, framed, 12x16. 
sold

The Piedmont Plein Air Paintout, here in lovely High Point, NC, started on Thursday with a Quick-Draw event from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m., on North Main Street, near the J. H. Adams Inn, where all the painters are staying. 

There we were, 30 of us, spread out along a couple blocks in the middle of downtown, painting. It was fun and convivial and challenging. I saw the paintings most of us did, and they were really great, ranging from a lovely painting of a sun-drenched yellow building, to a vivid painting of a Krispy Kreme donut shop, to a small painting of a half-eaten pink-frosted donut. 

I like my painting of St. Mary's Episcopal Church. I particularly love the threatening, shining sky, and the soft glow of the one side of the church. 

Architecture is not my strongest suit, but I am determined to improve, and so I plan to make more architecture-focused paintings during the next two days. 

The other painters here are amazingly talented, and very, very nice. It's an honor and a pleasure to be in their company.  

If you're in High Point and want to say hello and watch me paint, head to the train station on Friday. I plan to spend much of the day there! 

Here's my painting in the landscape. 

***
Dog of the Day

Here's a great, older German shepherd I met at the vet's a couple weeks ago. 
She showed her age a little, when she got up - but who doesn't? 


No comments: