Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Poppies! - and Some Cool Earrings

Poppies No. 2
Oil on canvas, 16x16

Do any of you remember Peter Max? When I was a kid, I had a jigsaw puzzle of a Peter Max painting of flowers, and I just loved it. I don't remember exactly what it looked like, but I do remember that it made me happy, and it intrigued me. The vibrant colors, the free forms, the dark outlines, these all stuck with me over all these years.

I think that's part of what I am loving so very much about the new paintings I'm doing. The strong colors, the feeling of freedom that I am enjoying while I paint, and the intrigue of leaving those little black rivers of gaps between pieces of the paintings, these are conspiring to make it amazingly fun and exhilarating to make these paintings.

Now to see if other people like them!

***
I HAD A TERRIBLE show in Williamsburg! There were tons of people there, they seemed to like my paintings, had good things to say, came into the tent - just didn't buy. One painting, $75, was all that sold all weekend! Sheesh.

But I have another chance this coming weekend, at Paradise City, in Northampton, MA. I'll be bringing flowers and flowers and more flowers  - and a new cowscape, too! I'll be in the arena building, in Booth 909, on the side near the food. Please stop in if you're at the show - and consider going to the show if you're in the area! There are discount coupons for admission at the Paradise City website. 

***
ONE OF THE PAINTERS I met at the Piedmont Plein Air Paintout wore some really great earrings the entire time. I found out the name of the guy who made them - Mark Schieferstein, aka Skrapmonkey.  He lives and works in Asheville, NC, and his stuff is really fun and interesting. My earrings - the ones at the far right in the first photo - were $24. And they're as good in real life as in the photo! You can check out his site, or send him an email, and he'll help you get some great ear decorations.



***
Dog of the Day

There were tons of great dogs at the show in Williamsburg, and this girl was one of them. 
She has a little dress on, and was clearly being spoiled rotten by her human. 
The woman looking on in the back clearly didn't approve! 

No comments: