Sunday, December 28, 2014

Galveston Cows - and Fun at the Five and Dime


Galveston Cows
Oil on black canvas 36x48

Galveston is one of the windiest places I've ever been. I had a week between shows in Houston and Winnsboro, Texas, and I got myself a campsite, and thought I'd be able to do some plein-air painting there. 

I did manage to do one small piece, but I did it sitting at a picnic table, holding the canvas down flat on the tabletop. Even at that, I had trouble with the wind blowing my palette and tools around! 

But I took a lot of photos. My favorite one was these cows, standing in a pond at the edge of a field. Just beyond the field, waves crashed onto the shore. 

And yes, the entire time I was there, the Glen Campbell song swirled around in my head. I've put it at the very bottom of this post, if you want to read it. I'm warning you, though, that once you see it and hear it in your mind, it's going to be there for a long, long time! 

***

I WILL BE LEAVING in about a month for the Southwest, on the Origins Painting Trip, and it would be great if you would sponsor me! I'll be making plein-air paintings in and around Ganado and Fort Defiance, Arizona, where I spent the first months of my life. It's a spectacular place, a gorgeous landscape, rich with color and amazing landscapes and the breadth of the Southwest. 


                                                      

***
Dog of the Day

Marley

SATURDAY, ON THE advice of our friend Pat, Peter and I went to Parksley to check out Jaxon's 5 & 10, and, across the street, Jaxon's Hardware.  (You really should check out the link...)

Both stores were great! The 5 & 10 brought me back to my childhood, and in particular, to the Juvenile Shop of New London. That store had only kids' clothes, but Jaxon's not only looked like it had been built by the same people, it also smelled the same. Felt the same underfoot. Gave me the same feeling. 

The hardware store was a good one, too, with squeaky wooden floorboards, all sorts of stuff that's really interesting and inexplicable (to me) - and for an added treat, two dogs racing around and playing! The best was Marley, above, a crazy puppy who was happy and friendly and delighted to be alive. Her favorite thing in the whole world, apparently, is running up and down the aisles of the store with her pal, Harley, a chubby black Lab.

Harley and Marley

***
DON'T SAY I didn't warn you! 
Galveston

Galveston, oh, Galveston, I still hear your sea winds blowin'
I still see her dark eyes glowin'
She was 21 when I left Galveston

Galveston, oh, Galveston, I still hear your sea waves crashing
While I watch the cannons flashing
I clean my gun and dream of Galveston

I still see her standing by the water
Standing there lookin' out to sea
And is she waiting there for me? 
On the beach where we used to run

Galveston, oh, Galveston, I am so afraid of dying
Before I dry the tears she's crying
Before I watch your sea birds flying in the sun
At Galveston, at Galveston

No comments: