Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Pier - and Paintings at the Harbor Gallery in Norfolk

Pier, 10x10
Commission

This is the final piece of the six-part commission I painted for my youngest collector. I know I've said it a bunch of times already, but I loved creating this project. 

Sure, I do projects on my own - and I have a great one coming up this year - trailers! - but I really enjoy bringing other people's ideas to life, too. 

Lots of artists hate commissions - I love them. Listening to people's ideas, helping them reach the heart of those ideas, and talk about color and design, pattern and rhythm,  truly understanding what they're seeing in their heart and mind, and what they love about what they're seeing - this is a process I enjoy. 

It's great, of course, when people simply buy my paintings - when they see, in my paintings, ideas and feelings that echo their own, or images that intrigue and invite them, or colors that make them happy, or make them feel something - that's great, too, and I love it.

But there's a different, and very special, joy that comes from sharing the process. It doesn't have to be my idea! I'm happy to paint your idea. 

So my collector arrayed the six beach pieces up the wall of her stairway. Another beach painting by me greets you at the top of the stairs. She also has a large cow painting, and a portrait of her dog. I'm all over her house! How great is that? 





***
Dog of the Day
Here's me and Patsy, at the Harbor Gallery in Norfolk. I brought a bunch of new paintings there before I left for my current trip. It's a very cool gallery, at 1508 Colley Ave. Amy, who owns it, has excellent art, and lots of fun stuff, including glass items, wall hangings, jewelry, clothes and more. And two fun cats roam the store, which makes me very happy. 






No comments: