Thursday, July 30, 2015

Tall Bouquet - and Dr. Buzby's Toe Grips

I loved making this painting! The colors truly delighted me, and I like the transparency of the vase. And the dots, of course.

I started with these dots in another vertical painting, "Calla Bouquet," as a way of filling in some of the black, in a graceful and fun way. And then I started enjoying the pattern of the dots, and how they shifted things from solid to less-than-solid. Also, it's fun to make them!

This painting is available, at Center Framing and Art, 56 LaSalle Road, West Hartford Center, CT.

***

I'M GEARING UP for two shows in Connecticut in August. The Mystic Outdoor Art Festival is Aug. 8-9, and the SoNo (South Norwalk) Art Festival is Aug. 17-18. Both shows are 10-6 on Saturday and 10-5 on Sunday. In Mystic, I'll be at the corner of Willow and Main, across from the post office. I don't know yet where I'll be in SoNo, but I'll will let you all know as soon as I do!

***
The Dog of the Day today is Smokey, our dear chow-sharpei, and one of the sweetest dogs on the planet. He has had arthritis for a while now, but in the past week or so, he's also developed a real weakness in his right hind leg. We had company last week, and Smokey had a very active couple of days; the weakness appeared soon afterwards. So we're hoping that he strained himself, and we're keeping him quiet, and he does seem to be improving.

One issue that won't go away is how slippery our floors are, and what trouble this causes him. We've gotten some extra rugs and mats, and those are helping, but I also ordered some foam caps that fit over dogs' toenails and are designed to help them get purchase on slippery floors.

They're called Dr. Buzby's Toe Grips, and I think they're worth trying. (There's a great story behind this invention; click here to read it). 

I ordered a set of mediums - and got an email from the company saying that after seeing Smokey's breed mix and weight, they were giving me a set of large toe grips, for free, because they think the larges might fit him better.

Now that's customer service!



***
A Final Thought

"If you ask me what I came to do in this world, I, an artist, will answer you:
 I am here to live out loud."

- Emile Zola

No comments: