Friday, January 1, 2016

Koko - and Happy 2016

Koko
Oil on canvas, 12x12

Happy 2016, everyone! I hope you're feeling the new year beckon, with promises of possibility, whispers of hope, and the thrill of a new beginning. 

There's part of me that would like to say that there's no magic in the start of a new year, that every day is, in fact, the start of a new year, and that the whole celebration thing is artificial. 

But the fact is that the prospect of a new year, artificial or not, excites me! I love the sense of standing on the threshold, looking ahead, dreaming big dreams. And I hope you do, too. 

The appearance of Koko in our lives was one of the many blessings of 2015, and one that continues happily into 2016. Koko helped ease our sadness at the losses of Jojo and Zoe, and she has brought playfulness and energy and the sense of discovery back into our home. 

So, from Koko and me, Abby and Peter, Smokey and Woodreau, Samantha and Puffy, Happy New Year! 

***
Dog of the (Hole) Day 
I used to think that the day after Christmas was Boxing Day, but apparently, here in Wachapreague, it's Hole Day. Abby and Koko spent it digging big, dumb holes in our poor yard. Oh, well. We can fill them in - or plant stuff in them! 


***
A Final Thought

"The longer you look at an object, the more abstract it becomes 
and, ironically, the more real." 
- Lucian Freud



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy New Year Carrie - fabulous bright sunny photo of your new fur baby. Shows the light she's brought to your life. Awesome blogs, looking forward to this years beautiful colorful paintings.

carrie jacobson said...

Thank you, Pam! One of the many good things 2015 brought me was meeting you. I look forward to your presence and friendship in 2016. Koko does, too!