Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Egg and Eggplant

Egg and Eggplant
Oil on canvas, 10x10, commission

A friend is crazy about eggplants, and has wonderful art of them all over her house. A year ago, she mentioned that she'd like me to make a painting of eggplants for her, and I was honored. It feels great when someone who collects art wants a painting of mine. It feels great when ANYONE buys a painting! But it's sort of extra special when it's someone who already has a lot of art, and is willing to make space for a piece of mine. 

It is also scary. My art would be hanging beside pieces by well-known Eastern Shore artists like Guy Wilkens,  Danny Doughty, Jack Richardson, Maurice Spector , Mama-Girl and more. 

So I thought about it. Put it in the place in my head and my heart where ideas, desires, plans, puzzles go to work themselves out. And they do! Not on my schedule, but in their own time, at their own pace. When they're ready, they present themselves to me, and I sort of see them, paint what I see, and fill in the blanks. 

Does this happen to you? Do you have an internal back burner that cooks along on its own? It would be great to hear your stories, if you'd like to share. 

A Tubac street near my dad and stepmom's house
***
Shameless Self-Promotion

The Tubac Arts Festival starts on Wednesday and runs through Sunday, here in beautiful Tubac, Arizona. It's from 10-6 except for Sunday, when I believe it closes earlier. It's a fun show, with items usually ranging from garlic oil to hand-made shoes, to beautiful baskets, photographs, jewelry and of course, paintings! 

I'll post my booth location in the next blog post. 

***
Stuff I've Seen

Now, really. Who doesn't want to live in Niceville? 

***
Dog of the Day
Saw this handsome guy in Englewood, Florida. There were great dogs there! 

***
A Final Thought

"The aim of art is to represent not the outward appearance of things, 
but their inward significance."

- Aristotle





No comments: