Thursday, June 22, 2017

If Wishes Were

If Wishes Were
Oil on black canvas, 40x40

This year, this solstice, I am feeling the full, sweet breadth of summer. The days stretch out, thick with heat and humidity, a mist of it in the distance, softening the edges of the future, the edges of the past.

This solstice, I feel the sweet breath of summer, close on my neck, brushing my hair, pushing hot against my arms and feet and broad, working shoulders. I stand out in the daylight, under brilliant sunshine, in this June that feels like July, and the heat pushes into my bones, and draws the sweat and salt from me as it pulls the paintings from my heart and from my soul.

This solstice, this spring, this summer, has been about flowers, the warm deep earth, the grass growing like thoughts in a sleepless night. These days of heat and light have brought a bounty of beauty to me, and I've seen this world in ways I never had, in the slimmer, slighter, paler weeks of winter.

***
Dog of the Day

This shy guy didn't mind the art show, but felt safer hiding behind his human.

***
A Final Thought

"If it weren't for greed, intolerance, hate, passion and murder, 
you would have no works of art, no great buildings, no medical science, no Mozart, 
no Van Gogh, no Muppets and no Louis Armstrong." 

- Jasper Fforde 




No comments: