Monday, March 23, 2020

Tern

Tern / Oil on black canvas / 5x7 / $68 including shipping

sold

RAIN PELTS THE AWNING over the kitchen window, as I sit at the kitchen table on this dark, windy morning. I am pretty sure the sun will come up, but in these mornings when night lingers - and lingers longer because of the storm - I sometimes, with a hitch in my throat, wonder: Will today be the day the sun does not come up? 

Of course not, I reassure myself - but I will keep glancing out, until I get the answer. 

***

For Today

The Germ

A mighty creature is the germ,
Though smaller than the pachyderm.
His customary dwelling place 
is deep within the human race. 
His childish pride he often pleases
by giving people strange diseases.
Do you, my poppet, feel infirm?
You probably contain a germ. 

- Ogden Nash


No comments: