Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Snow in the Mountains

First Snow, Mohonk Mountain Road
Oil on canvas, 8x10,


Call me at 860-442-0246 or email me
if you are interested in buying this painting

As Saturday afternoon waxed into Saturday evening in New York, the first snow of the year spun down from the sky and fell, flakes huge and sticky in the 33-degree dusk, and then, overnight, piled on limbs and lawns and the soft branches of fir trees.

In the morning, clouds and sky and snow and fields laced together in a swirl of white, and I painted wildly, working quickly in the cold and the wind, to capture what the sunlight would destroy.

I know that, soon enough, I will be tired of snow and winter and the broad reaches of white - but now, I am hungry for them, for the way they uncomplicate everything, and tie it all together.

Thank you for reading!

No comments: