Sunday, August 25, 2013

Thursday Afternoon - and Running Out of White

Thursday Afternoon
Oil on canvas, 18x36

Painting began for me with a random thought that I had the courage - or luck - to listen to, and follow.

That began a change in my life, and over these years, little by little, I've learned to listen and to trust. When a door seems to open for me, I take my courage in hand and walk through it. Maybe I end up in a small room that I leave quickly. Maybe I end up in a long, interesting corridor, with lots of corners and other doors. The important thing for me is to have the nerve to step through and see what's there.

Thus, this painting, which seems to me to be about freedom, and love, and the sky and, well, paint itself.

***

I KNEW I WAS running out of white paint, so early in the week, I ordered a bunch. I go through a lot, a lot, a lot of white paint. The UPS guy showed up on Friday, and I was thrilled. He was there just in time.

"Yay!" I said. "I'm down to my last tube of white!"

"Hmm," he said. "I don't think there's any paint in this shipment."

And sure enough, there wasn't. Canvases, yes, but no paint.

I can fake it when I'm out of other colors... but not when I'm out of white. And there are a lot of situations like that. We can seem to be OK, making do, or even shining people on - but when you're out of white paint, when you're out of whatever it is at the very core of what you do, or who you are, you're just stuck.

Peter and I went to the Big City of Salisbury, MD, Saturday, and I got a couple tubes of white paint - so I can go on. If only it were so easy in other parts of life.

***
Dog of the Day


This is a son of Tino, one of Kathryn Yamartino's fabulous labradoodles! 
Want your pet to be the Dog of the Day? Send an email to me at carrieBjacobson@gmail.com


No comments: