Sunday, November 1, 2015

Autumn in Chimney Rock






I've stopped in North Carolina for a while on my way home, with Christine Stark, who fostered Abby and now Koko.

Christine lives on a mountaintop, currently with 11 dogs, most of whom are up for adoption. She's near Lake Lure, which is close to Asheville, and is a center for leaf-peeping tourism.

I went out and painted the other day, late in the afternoon, with the sun slanting through the trees and absolutely lighting up the fall colors.

If anyone is looking for a place to have a nice fall vacation, I'd suggest this area. And if anyone is looking for a good dog to adopt, get in touch with me and I'll put you in touch with Christine!




Left: Autumn in Chimney Rock
Oil on black canvas, 12x36
Please click here to email me about price and availability





Below, Koko waiting at the door.


***

THE TRIP TO TEXAS was sort of a disaster, but it's OK. I learned a number of lessons from it, and they're valuable enough to have made it worth my while. 

I had some fun, interesting experiences, too. One was my time at Tannehill Ironworks State Historical Park in McCalla, Alabama, not so far from Birmingham. I didn't get to see the ironworking part of the park - a blacksmith demonstrates and teaches his skill - but I did get to see the amazing Halloween decorations. 

Nearly all the people who have RV spaces in the park decorate their areas for Halloween. And it's a big park. Randy, the park security man, told me that they close the park to cars at a certain point on Halloween, and just let the kids go around. And, he said, thousands of kids would come. 



And above, here's my cot in the van, all made up for the night's camping. 

***
Dog of the Day
Saw this guy in Asheville, NC. He was pretty seriously defending his car. 

***
A Final Thought

"To send light into the darkness of men's hearts - such is the duty of the artist." 
- Robert Schumann 


No comments: