Monday, April 27, 2020

Sanderling

Sanderling / oil on black canvas / 5x7 unframed / $68

sold! 

IN MY WORKSHOP Saturday, we painted chickens. We were on the legs and feet when I mentioned that I'd never felt chicken feet (or eaten them, though here in the South, you can buy them in a package in the meat section of the grocery store). 

Diana Davis, a friend, a superior chicken painter, and a woman who apparently knows her fowl, said that chicken feet are soft. I had always figured they were bony and hard, and heavy, so I was surprised. 

I have felt birds' feet on my hands, and what I remember is pointiness and spring, and my amazement that something that weighs so little could have so very much life. 

***
Workshops

SINCE WE HAVE BEEN shut in and isolated, I've been giving painting workshops on Saturdays, on my Carrie Jacobson Artist page on Facebook. 

The workshops are free, and last about an hour. It is what I can give to help people find some creativity, some color, some joy in a dark and difficult time. You don't need to be an artist, though some terrific artists paint with us - and some very much beginning artists do, too. All experience levels are welcome, and all, I think, feel welcomed.

So, please join us! This Saturday, at 1 p.m. Eastern, set yourself up with something to make art with and something to make art on. I'll be using a palette knife and oil paintings, but you may use whatever you like. People painting with the group have used pencils, charcoal, pastels, crayons, watercolors, acrylics and who knows what all else. 

The workshop is on my Carrie Jacobson Artist Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/carriejacobsonartist . Go there a little before 1 on Saturday and look for me Live. You'll find me at or near the top of the page. 

The videos are archived after we finish, and you can find them all here - https://www.facebook.com/pg/carriejacobsonartist/videos

I'll post a photo during the week of what we are going to paint. I think it will be a vase of flowers, perfect for spring! 

***
Gratitude

TODAY, I AM GRATEFUL for the lightning that flashed Saturday, off in the distance, when I awoke past midnight. It was exciting, and brilliant, and made me know that summer is coming. 

***
For Today

"Art is who we are. It facilitates self-realization in everyone."

-Philippe Benichou

No comments: