Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Kingfisher

Kingfisher / Oil on black canvas / 5x7 / $68 including shipping

This bird has flown to a new home! 

THESE DAYS, I HAVE FELT DULL, in the Victorian novel sense of the word. I am sure that part of it is the journey of recovery that I'm on, learning to live alone, without the input from my smart and interesting husband. Without the sparking of ideas shared and discussed, pulled apart and put back together. Without the bits of nagging and temper that sometimes punctuated our peaceful life. Without the rhythms and patterns of decades together.

But I am sure, also, that part of it is the covid, and how my world has shrunk because of it. I see people, I talk to people, I go places - but it is all limited, in part by my spiritual and emotional frailty and in part by the virus.

I am in awe of my friends who live alone and who have carved out meaningful, onward-moving lives without the constant input of a partner, and all the ripples that person brings to a surface that I am finding to be too often too still.

So I will seek some different experiences, go someplace if not new, at least some place I haven't visited in a while. I will try a new color of paint, read a new book, maybe strike up a conversation with a stranger. And I will wait with whatever patience I can muster, for things to change. 

***
For Today

"People don't take trips. Trips take people." 

- John Steinbeck

No comments: