Friday, August 28, 2020

Little Bluebird

Little Bluebird / Oil on black canvas / 5x7 / $68 including shipping

sold! 

THE BIRDS ARE FLOCKING UP, getting ready to head south. In fact, I think they are already on the wing; I've seen different birds in the yard these past few hot days, birds I haven't seen since spring. 

It doesn't feel like autumn, but I know it's coming. The gardens have dried and faded. The summer's brilliance, in the sun and in the flowers, has subsided. The days are shorter, not as bright, the sunshine not as harsh, not quite as brutal as it was in July. In the studio, I barely need the north-facing room-darkening curtains that made it possible to be in there this summer.

This year, more than any, I welcome this coming of autumn, as slight and early as it might be. I long to live with open windows, to walk out into a fresh, crisp morning, to see a night sky free of summer haze. I won't get the beautiful fall colors of New England here, but there will be some red trees, and lots of gold, and the light will become more rounded, more orange, more pink. 

And maybe I will go somewhere, like the birds.

***
Dog of the Day

This is a photo Peter made, of Abby (in the lead) and Koko, racing around the backyard. Abby is living with our daughter Erika now, and is as happy as can be. 

***
For Today

"I prefer winter and fall, when you feel the bone structure of the landscape - the loneliness of it, the dead feeling of winter. Something waits beneath it; the whole story doesn't show." 

- Andrew Wyeth


No comments: