Thursday, April 5, 2012

Roxanna's Dog

Roxanna's Dog
Oil on canvas, 12x12, commission

The afternoon light is slanting across the back yard, and the hawks have returned to their nest near our driveway.

This delights me. I loved watching them last year, and hearing them - they are red-shouldered hawks, and talkative, noisy even. And they are amazing flyers, somehow making their way through the close-set trees in our grove, even with their huge wingspans.

The bluebirds are back, too, and I expect hummingbirds any day.

Our bloomless daffodils have sent their elegant greenery up again, taunting me for my inability to remember to dig them up and separate them in the fall. And perennials are popping up, too, ones I planted and of course can't remember.

It is spring, and I've been working hard at my job, but with the longer days and richer light, finding good time to paint.

I really love this dog, too. I have been on a roll!

***

If you are in the mid-Hudson Valley of New York, don't forget to check out the show Shawn Dell Joyce and I have at the Wallkill River School Gallery this month, in Montgomery. The reception is April 14, and I'd love to see you there! The show is up to the end of the month.

The gallery is located at 232 Ward St., (Route 17K) in Montgomery. It's open Monday-Saturday. For more, click here! 

No comments: