Monday, August 25, 2014

Astro - and the Dogs' Small Pleasures


Astro
Oil on canvas, 12x12

I've made a lot of paintings this summer that I haven't posted yet, and Astro is one of them. Isn't he an amazing looking dog? 

I always find it interesting when someone buys a painting of a dog or cat that's not their dog or cat. It's a feather in the cap for me, really, because it means that they like the painting as a painting - not because it's their very own pet. And that's a pretty big deal. But it leaves me without a sample painting for my booth. So I've had fun making pet portraits not on commission - like Astro here, who belongs to a friend of our daughter. 

If you're thinking of getting a pet portrait from me for a Christmas present, well, yay! These paintings make great and memorable presents; people just love them! Don't tarry too long, though, if you want one for Christmas or Hanukkah. It takes about eight weeks from the time I start to the time that the painting is dry enough to send, and there is a waiting list already. Want more info? Send an email to me at carrieBjacobson@gmail.com


The real Astro

***
AND SPEAKING OF DOGS, (as we almost were), it was cool enough here yesterday that we could shut off the air conditioning - first time since June! - and open the windows and let the beautiful evening air in. We left the back door open for a while, and the dogs had a ball. Whenever we do this, and it is rare, the dogs think it's just the best thing ever. They run in and out and in and out just because they can. It's really fun to see how excited they are about this one small change in their lives. 

***
Dogs of the Day


At many shows this summer, I watched people and their dogs, and considered the link, the love, the trust that flowed through those leashes. This old dog trusts that her owner will take her only to safe places, only to good places, and shepherd her cleanly through the crowds. I watched while the dog waited, patiently, never tugging, never barking, as her owner stopped in tent after tent, looking at art and jewelry. The dog asked for nothing other than to be with her human. In a small, quiet way, it was beautiful. 


No comments: