Thursday, June 18, 2015

The Long View - and a Scary Show

The Long View
Oil on canvas, 24x48
sold
I got back from my Midwest trip on Monday, tired and worn out, but very happy. It was a grand trip, in terms of sales, and meeting nice people who liked and supported my art. There's really nothing quite as wonderful as that!

The trip was not without its trials and adventures, though. The weather was a constant worry and stressor. It was very, very hot the whole time. Most show days were in the upper 80s or 90s, and humid, to boot.

It rained during Summerfair in Cincinnati, and during the Omaha Summer Arts Festival, too. But they were nothing, compared to what happened in Columbus.  My booth was on a bridge across a river, maybe a quarter-mile wide. It was a prime spot for foot traffic.

The breeze blew nicely at the start of the the fair, cooling the broiling day just a little. But as Friday wore on, the breeze grew into a wind, a stronger and stronger wind that had my paintings flapping frighteningly from the walls. The wind turned into downpours, and I closed the walls of the tent. When the rain cleared, the wind went down some, though it did continue to blow and bluster for the rest of the day ... and night. (The show started at 11 and ran through to 10:30).

The second day, there was less wind and far more rain. Downpours happened on and off, building and building until at about 8 p.m., the sky opened with a vicious thunder and lightning storm. All of us on the bridge were sitting in our zipped-up tents, and while I don't know about the rest of them, I can tell you I was scared. A river was running through the back of my tent. Wind was smacking the sides. Rain was pounding on the roof, while lightning split the sky and thunder crashed all around.

But I lived - and had a good show, too. And this coming weekend, our daughter Erika is getting married!

***


And here are the happy buyers of "The Long View."

***
Dog of the Day







A trio of (need I say?) well-behaved shelties, at the show in Omaha. The one with the fancy necklace had a sort of prancing walk that was delightful. His humans said he's always walked that way.
***
A Final Thought

"You come to nature with all your theories, and she knocks them all flat." 

- Pierre Auguste Renoir





No comments: