Friday, April 17, 2009

On the road from Snowflake

On Route 77. Oil on stretched canvas, 10x30
please contact me for price and shipping/delivery info

The road from Snowflake to Holbrook, Arizona 77, is one of the lovelier roads I've driven out here. The prairie rolls along in gentle waves, the earth red beneath soft green and gold vegetation. In the distance, cliffs and mesas stick up from the horizon, and the sun seems to soak into the whole scene.

There are few houses between towns here. Cattle graze, and near the spot where I made this painting, a group of 40 or so horses gathered, including some very young, very long-legged colts. There are almost no trees.

Nights have been cold, down into the 20s. I saw snow two days ago, the day that gale-force winds closed the Interstate. I took that day to visit Ganado, Window Rock and Fort Defiance, the area where I was born and grew up. Later that same day, a McDonald's golden arches sign fell and crushed a car, injuring the people inside. This is wild country.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wish I could see a tad more image than this sliver of a res. You're just teasing us aren't you! I think I've seen that plateau...