Tuesday, April 14, 2009

On the way home

Outside Sonoita, Arizona. Oil on stretched canvas, 14x18

This morning, I said goodbye to my father and his wife, and set out for Ganado and Fort Defiance, the land of my birth.

Dad was in the civil service, and he and my mother moved to Arizona, on the Navajo reservation in the northeast corner of the state. What an adventure that must have been! Two young people, taking the first steps in their married life, in a place as wild and foreign as could be for a couple from suburban Philadelphia.

It's already been an emotional day, and I expect it to continue as such. With luck, I will reach Fort Defiance today, and then spend the day around there tomorrow, exploring and painting. I'm sad to leave Tubac, Patagonia and Sonoita, where the land and the sky and everything in between moved me enormously - but I am sure looking forward to this next adventure.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

With these emotional roller coasters, you'll appreciate the calm when you return. I'm lovin' this sky!!! Love being on this trip with you Carrie.