Sunday, October 25, 2009

Insulated

Leaves. Oil on canvas, 8x10


On Saturday, a strangely warm and humid day, we insulated the studio. "We" was Peter, daughter Erika, Erika's fiance Jon, Erika's daughter's boyfriend Peter and me.

Honestly, I spent most of the time running between Whalehead Road and Home Depot, ruing the math skills that I never quite mastered.

It wasn't until I'd brought the second load of stuff back that I realized I was mixing up linear feet and square feet. I'm not sure this explains completely why I needed four times the amount I first bought, but to my addled brain, it does.

The studio is much different now that it's insulated. It's very quiet. The air is soft. It's somewhat warmer - not completely warmer, because we did what you are supposed to do and didn't run the insulation down to the soffit vents, and so the cold air is still coming in. It's warmer, though - because the warm air isn't escaping, I guess.

One reason I delayed insulating for so long is that I liked being surrounded by wood. I was heading toward drywall in my thoughts - and resisting it - when a friend suggested going to a lumberyard and buying cheap unfinished planking. I like it!

2 comments:

Art with Liz said...

Since Rocky (who is my absolute favourite) I've had to catch up. Autumn is catching up with you and the colours in this are beautiful.

carrie jacobson said...

Thanks for the note, Liz. Rocky is my current favorite, too.

Big storms here the past few days, and most of the leaves are off the trees. A whole new world to paint.