Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Spring or Fall?

Outside Santa Fe
Oil on canvas, 6x12


Call me at 860-442-0246 or email me
if you are interested in buying this painting


Now that fall is here, spring feels like more than a memory. It's an echo, a harmony, the second twin, the flash that you see at the edge of your eye, the thought that slips just out of reach.

I pulled this little painting out the other day, and worked it, and found that I like it better than when I painted it.

I was just west of Santa Fe, and spring had barely touched the land. Mornings dawned cold, afternoons rolled into warmth, and colors started - wanly - to appear.

The same thin rhythms pulse through these autumn days, and sometimes, if I'm thinking too hard or not thinking enough, I find myself wondering if it is spring or if it's fall.

No comments: