Sunday, November 29, 2009

A Heartening Fact

Islands in the Stream
Oil on canvas, 9x12, $100



The rain and the early dusk make it more difficult to photograph my paintings.

In fact, when you really think about it, the rain and the early dusk make everything more difficult. I guess I should be thankful that it's not snowing, though somehow, a cold rain feels colder than snow.

So, in the cold rain, I slip out and set my paintings down under trees with no leaves to shelter from the rain, or from the glare of the day, and I shoot quickly, and cross my fingers.

I'm working on some very big paintings, and there's just no taking them out in the rain to photograph them. I'm not willing to chance it.

But here is an interesting and cheery fact to contemplate. Sunset begins getting later much sooner than you might think. Here in Gales Ferry, Dec. 2 - just days from now - is the earliest sunset time. It will set at the same time for a week or so, then begin to set later.

Yes, the shortest day of the year is still Dec. 21 - but that's because the dawn continues to come later. Go here and put in your information, and you'll see.


No comments: